Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Exodus

Just when I think the ball game is over, life throws another hardball at me. I don’t know whether to duck, swing or drop out of the game. In one month I lost my boyfriend, my place at the marina and my job. I was hoping to get the boat out of the water at the end of this month and figure out a way to save the hull. I was just informed today that my job is being cutback to one day a week. I can barely survive on that never mind have thousands left over to do the repairs. I’m in a bind now as I needed to do the repairs so I could move the boat to another marina, but now that I cant afford to do that, I’m hooped.

Life has changed dramatically here at The Richmond Yaught Club (our pet name for the trailer park like existence down here). I don’t even know where to begin or how it all went so wrong. I was so happy to find this place last year. I loved the community of people and the lifestyle. I had the perfect boyfriend, the perfect boat, the perfect job and the perfect friends to share it all with. I was so happy; I was finally in a place in my life where everything was going right.

I’m not sure when it started to go wrong, but it seems to me that the arrival of the Lightship was the beginning of the end. It is a huge ship and was put on the inside of the Bowie (another huge ship). This ended up pushing them quite far out into the shipping lanes as the year went on and the silt continued to pile up close to shore. From the moment it got here, there were issues with it and its owner. He ended up selling it to another fellow who, for various reasons continued to butt heads with Greig and almost everyone else down here. This eventually got the attention of the authorities and in the end the marina owner was told to get rid of the liveaboards and a bunch of the boats so that we fit back into our water-lease. Over the last year we had expanded gradually until we were over the limit in every direction. This culling of boats was done in a most brutal manner, hurting many people and causing a truckload of hurt feelings and resentment.

As David has the only real business down here, he was able to convince the landlord to sign a lease to rent him the majority of the marina. This has resulted in him being frustrated because he is paying rent on space he cant use as its still full of boats, most of which aren’t or haven’t been paying rent in months. However its just not that easy to find a place in a matter of weeks to put large ships and float-homes, especially as none of them are in good shape or insurable and all very large. I’m supposed to be out of here by the end of the month. The plan was to put my boat in the workshop here for a few months and get her shipshape so I could find another marina to accept me. Now I cant afford to take it out of the water and have nowhere else to take her in this condition. I doubt the boat will survive another winter in the water .The end of the month is looming and I’m at my wits end. I’m sure this will all look better in the morning, but I have no one to talk to and needed to vent. I don’t want to lose my boat, I love it so much.

In other mundane news, I managed to get one of the motors fixed for the speedboat and have been able to finally cruise the river system here and get to the beach on a number of occasions. It’s so awesome to finally be able to get out and about on the water. I took the motor in that had been on the boat when it sank, but it’s too far-gone and couldn’t be repaired, too bad; I sure would have liked to have one for the Lucky 7.
I got the electric toilet working finally by just using hoses going right into the river through the windows and bypassing the thru hulls for now. I'ts ok for summer but not a good plan in winter as I wont want the windows open, its hard enough to heat this place as it is.

Well not sure what tomorrow has in store for me, not sure I want to find out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your woes.

I wish you all the best & hope things pick up soon.

T

kat said...

Hey Rianna,
I hear you! was there too,,, too bad things turned out that way, it was an awesome place to live. I did love the environment, the people and the way of life there, i miss it a lot!! you need to vent, call me, I miss u,
keep in touch,,
kat

Followers