Friday, April 18, 2008

LIfe or Something Like it

Well Ive officially outlived my Mother. She was the same age as I am now when she passed away 22 years ago on April 13th. It was a strange day for me on the 12th as I thought about her and how I would feel if I knew this was to be my last day on earth. How would I spend it, what would be important to me, could I go gracefully, knowing I had lived my life to the fullest?

Luck was with me and it was a beautiful sunny day, so I got up early and made it to the beach for the first time this year. It was a spectacular day and I was surrounded by many friends I hadnt seen in months. People were jamming all around me, the sun warmed my face and the sights of nature filled my heart. It was a great day to be alive and if it was to be my last, I would have no regrets, I was exactly where I wanted to be.

I feel old and young at the same time. I have no regrets, if I went tommorrow Id be grateful for the life I've led, at the same time I feel I have a few good years left in me yet and every day now is a gift to be treasured.

In mundane life news, my boat never made it to the mechanics. I have a lot of issues to deal with to get it out of the water, onto a trailer and delivered to the shop when they actually have an opening. I dont have a running motor to get the boat to the other shore nor a trailer or a truck to pull one. Trying to organize it all is proving to be difficult. Im thinking of taking my small motor in to get fixed so I can at least move my boat. The shop has a trailer I can borrow ,just need a towtruck and driver to get it there. Hopefully this happens before summer is over.

Everyone Ive talked to about getting the hull fixed on my live-aboard suggests Im better off looking around to see what else is out there for sale that might be in better shape for the same kind of money.A friend of mine has his boat up for sale and Im seriously considering it ,just have to take some measurements to see if my life will fit on his boat. It has about the same size living space ( just not quite as funky looking) and a running inboard motor. My favorite part tho is the back deck which has a removable canopy. So nice to have some outdoor space.

We have been told that we might have to move from our marina. This is a scary prospect for most of us as we are a work in progress and not quite ready for prime- time marine living. I know my boat would never be accepted anywhere else in the condition its in . If we have to move ,Id be better off with an insurable boat. Im thinking of asking my Uncle if I can put this boat on his farm on Vancouver Island as a cabin. Build a foundation and a deck around it and stick it in the woods somewhere. I dont think I have the resources to rebuild it to make it safe on the water but no reason it cant be a cute cabin .

Either way I look at it, I'm looking at some hefty bills in the near future. As much as I dont want too, Im considering taking on Saturdays at the clinic. It means Ill be working the whole weekend from Friday straight through till Monday but the money is best then ,pretty much guaranteed full shifts. Im sorry ,did I say I wanted a social life?? Oh well I guess the sacrifice will be worth it in the end.

1 comment:

rob said...

R` Remember optomist live 15 years longer than pessimists! True, and what is the real difference? A pessimist is just a miserable optomist (so it really isnt worth it is it). Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you get into a fight :o)) Tee Hee

Followers