Tuesday, March 2, 2010

All's Well That Ends Well













I think I held my breath for the last 17 days as the Olympic party unfolded in our town. Things started off rough with the sad death of the Georgian luger, a serious lack of snow on the mountains and a few glitches during the opening ceremonies but once we won our first gold medal, all that was set aside and the party started in earnest. I have to admit I'm not one for watching sports but I ended up glued to my TV as the days went on.

I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by the opening ceremonies. I didn't think we could come even remotely close to the spectacle that China presented at the last Olympics but I thought we did a fabulous job. The closing ceremonies were fairly hokey by contrast but we have always been good at poking fun at ourselves. We were so happy at winning the gold in hockey that a humerous light-hearted show was perfect for the giddy crowd.

And speaking of crowds, I have never seen so many people on the streets.I kept thinking the thrill would wear off and things would slow down, but neither work, nor rain, nor mile-long lineups stopped the people from pouring into the downtown core day after day. It was literally a sea of elbow-to-elbow red and white patrism. I've never felt prouder to be a Canadian.

2 comments:

rob said...

Our Hockey league in the UK (when I was involved that is, around 1960) had its regular winners but only because they had better Canadian players then the others.Hockey certainly is canada`s game. Thanks for sharing the piccies!

Jamie said...

It was amazing to watch from here too - between you and T, I feel like my friends make me an honorary Canadian to the south. Great photos!

Followers